Monday, December 4, 2017

Moving in the right direction

Sometimes it takes me awhile to get up the guts to pull the plug on a project, but I will eventually get them.  I just counted back, and I'm pretty sure I've unraveled four almost-finished sweaters this year.  That's a lot of wasted knitting time, isn't it?  These were all things I cast on in haste, either by being desperate to try a new yarn, or being persuaded by an expiring discount code, or being too lazy to wind something and just using what was handy [if you can believe it, that is something I actually do] or suffering from FOMO, or boredom, or yarnlove blindness, or whatever.  I'd been working on a Granito in Holst Supersoft since last summer, and from the very beginning, I sort of knew that Supersoft was the wrong choice.  It was gray and in the stash at the exact moment I was ready to cast on for the project, and I got gauge.  So, go for launch!  Don't think about it or anything!  On the plus side, Supersoft comes already wound and ready to go, but straight out of the cake, Supersoft is not supersoft.  Supersoft has a hand only a mother could love, and it requires a leap of faith, and you have to keep on leaping for the duration of the project.  Actually, I have to carry that unrelated purple swatch along with any Supersoft project, and I need to keep it right in front of me the whole time I'm knitting with Supersoft, and I have to keep cuddling it now and then to remind myself what that yarn really is inside, because otherwise, I will completely forget about how it transforms with washing and becomes a nice fabric and I will hate my knitting.   Witness.  Supersoft before a bath:
String-like and rough.  A bit like what your grandad uses to tie up the tomato plants.  On the recommended US 4, the fabric is mesh, and pretty unappealing.  It can be dispiriting.  However.  Supersoft after a bath:
Lo, it is good!  Fluffy and plumped, and comparatively soft.  It's never going to be merino, but not everything has to be that soft.  This is a rustic, wooly wool, and light as a feather.   So, even though I had a pretty strong feeling this wasn't the yarn I wanted for my Granito, I kept thinking about its potential for dramatic transformation and that made me keep going.  Then, last week, when I realized I hadn't put even one stitch on that project since August, I knew it was time to let it go and I unraveled the whole thing, which always hurts a little, but which is, in the end, a move in the right direction.  This time, it also left me with two holes in my life, because I still desperately want a Granito, and I have some Supersoft now, which wants to be a sweater.  Obviously, faced with a situation like that, even though I already have what Ethel refers to as my Yarn Museum, I betook myself to the LYS to find a remedy, and came home with a bunch more Supersoft.  Sigh.  It comes in so many colors!  I can't resist it!  I have quite a stash of it now, but never exactly what I'm looking for, which is how stashes grow.  [Could I do one of these in time for Rhinebeck 2018?] That up there, the cream-and-olive striped thing?  That's neither the sweater I unraveled, nor the yarn I unraveled from it, nor a new Granito.  That is Yet Another Sweater, on my needles.  I am running out of size fours.  Ravello, by Isabell Kraemer.  In Supersoft.    

12 comments:

  1. I smiled my way through this post. We’ve all been there. We’ve all done that. Here’s to thinking good thoughts and hoping that this new yarn and your new sweater will be exactly what you want. There’s no shame in unraveling what’s not working. After all, we knit because we love to knit right? Even if there’s not a finished project at the end. Ha!
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Here's hoping for the best, but still feeling okay with it if it doesn't work out. xoxo

      Delete
  2. So funny. I have knit with yarn that should have been used to tie up tomato plants. Nothing went right with them. I am not a knitter of your caliber, but I have ripped out many socks when I had already got to the toe. Nothing like ripping out a whole sweater though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does hurt a little, but then I get to start something new, which is, frankly, the BEST! :)

      Delete
  3. Ah it is like Bendigo Woollen Mills Classic yarn... like string yet it gets softer the more you wash and wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a process knitter, not a project knitter, so I wouldn't view any knitting as a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always learn something from the false starts. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm just not capable of sitting without something to do (or read). I'm sure when we go to the theater (we have lots of small local theaters), my fingers are probably air knitting without me even noticing.

      Delete
  5. I've still got yarn from a sweater that I ripped out years and years ago. I always think I'll try to make another one but it never happens. I hate when I spend a lot of money on an expensive yarn and do nothing with it! I do more crochet than knit now a days, but maybe I'll get it back out....maybe.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you still love the yarn, it'll probably eventually find its way into a project. :)

      Delete
  6. You should read my current post - it might resonate! It all works out in the end. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete