Monday, November 20, 2017

Snowy

I just want to make all the things right now.  There are so many things, and I am dying to start about forty-two new knitting projects.  This little papier mache sailboat (free pattern, from the wonderful Ann Wood) has kept me busy this morning, and I only had to stop because it needs a mast and I can't find a skewer.  The skewers were a casualty of the big clear-out I did over the summer, and now I'm either going to buy more skewers (probably a hundred of them, when I only need one) or improvise with a knitting needle or something else.  A stick from the yard would be my usual solution to needing a stick, but this happened:
I can't.  Look, it's still trying to be golden out there!  Or it would be, if the sun knew we were here.  New York, you are so hard to love right now.  This dark weather just gets to me.  A thousand pounds of snow just slid off the roof and crashed onto the ground.  Why do people love this?  Honestly?  Don't say sweaters and soup, I do those things all year.  I just don't get it.  I have lots of opinions about this.  I know people love snow, and I'm happy for them, but I really struggle in this cold, dark time of year.  Anyway, if you love a snowy day, come on over; I'll put the kettle on. 
Probably in response to the encroaching cold, I made a pair of legwarmers!  My legs are cold!  My feet are cold, too, and I need to be knitting socks, but that is less colorful and uses up far fewer scraps.  These really scratched the itch to make granny squares--come on, you know the one I'm talking about.  I have no use at all for any more granny square blankets, but that doesn't keep me from wanting to make granny squares, and all those little leftover balls of pretty colors just cry out to me.  There is something so wonderful about the humble, scrappy, granny square.  These are made with 18 5-round grannies (9 per leg) and joined-as-you-go, and then trimmed top and bottom with a few more colorful rows, just to jazz them up a little, because they aren't quite jazzy enough already.  
I think with a pair of thick socks underneath (note to self: get busy!) these gauntlets will be very cheerful.  I think I'd quite like to have them on inside my winter boots, cuddling my chilly shins and peeking out the top, all cheeky and bright.  Cozy. 

31 comments:

  1. Would love to come over for a knit and natter but thinking your kettle would boil dry before I arrived! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad having just finished a granny square lap blanket for a gift and I'm missing working on it in the evenings. Your leg warmers are absolutely adorable and may be my new project at tomorrow night's knitting group. Thank you so much for sharing your clever design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end of a granny square project is a bittersweet moment, isn't it? xoxo

      Delete
  3. You can never go wrong with granny squares! Love the leg warmers 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! They make me happy every time. :)

      Delete
  4. Cheeky!! I never knew I needed a pair of those, she says thinking where is her scraps bag of brights. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the little things on Add Wood's blog, and have been wanting to make one of those little sail boat for awhile. And your granny warmers are so great! I definitely know the want to make grannies. One of my friends said she wants a granny square blanket when I have time after xmas and I can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The call of the grannies is powerful strong! :)

      Delete
  7. You always make me smile, you're so funny. By the way , I think I would love the snow, don't get it here in hot Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking as a lifelong Northerner, I can say I think you probably would like snow; most people seem to. Not me, but most people. I'm pretty envious of your tropical climate. :)

      Delete
  8. OMG! These are lovely! Got to make my own pair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the leg warmers!
    so very bright for a dull wintery day!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just LOVE them!! and I'm jealous of your snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will look pretty for Christmas, and then I am so over it. Bring back the sunshine! :)

      Delete
  11. I chuckled over your skewer dilemma, because this sounds exactly like something that would happen to me. Keep something forever, finally purge it, need it almost immediately afterwards, then have to purchase in mass quantities. BTDT. Would a chopstick work? You could order Chinese take-out or go to Noodles and Co. restaurant and get one set of chopsticks for free with your meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chopstick! And potstickers to go, as well! This is a great idea. Xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  12. I share your love of granny squares. Don't know why or how it happens, but it a deep, happy, apparently never-ending affection. Your bright, RED leg warmers are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just so compelling, aren't they? Ah, granny, I love you so. xoxo

      Delete
  13. Well now I have another project on the list (for myself!) As I work on my many christmas gifts on the go! Love these leg warmers!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honestly hate snow. Truly love those legwarmers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A soul sister! Nana, we are in a lonely minority I think. Let's form a snow hater's club. :D

      Delete
  15. Love those leggings! Hate the snow! We made it to Tucson, AZ for our 4-month stay in the midst of record heat - projected temp on Thanksgiving projected 89 degrees!


















    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, winter in Arizona sounds kind of perfect. Enjoy the human-friendly temperatures! :)

      Delete
  16. I love Ann Wood's creations. Have you seen her little trees she makes? I made a forest of them last Christmas. I am so in awe of how many things you knit and crochet. I asked my husband for a learn to crochet book for Christmas so I can make Granny squares too. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I love those little trees! I made a little forest of them last year, too. She's so clever. Fingers crossed for your learning to granny--once you start grannying, you'll never stop! :)

      Delete