Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Rhinebeck

All this talk about Rhinebeck.  What a good day.  What a lovely, wonderful day I had there.  It was eighty degrees, and there were very few sweaters to see, which disappointed me a little, because I was hoping to use the sweaters as a way to start conversations with people, and there wasn't much of that in the end anyway, because as it turns out, I really didn't even notice people until they talked to me first.  I was focused like a laser beam on all the beautiful things and apparently I hardly looked up at all.  I did not see a single Famous Knitter--not a single one.  And I know they were there, I've seen a million pictures!  Well.  Anyway, if you were there and I missed seeing you because I was facedown in the Cormo, I am so sorry.  And if you weren't there, and you wish you could've been, I'm so sorry about that, too.  I think too much talk about Rhinebeck amongst the yarny people can get to be a little irritating for those who can't go, or who don't care to go.  I did have a terrific day, full of friends and doughnuts and beautiful things.  That is my haul, up there.  
Doc, my true love and constant companion, got up with me at 4:00 am, drove us, through the fog, across the state to the fairgrounds, and once there carried the water and snacks on his back, stood patiently while I felt up all the fleeces, carried the first load of yarn back to the car and then came back for more, waited in the long lines for apple cider doughnuts and falafel so I wouldn't have to, bought me an iced coffee, posed for selfies with me.  He never once raised an eyebrow about any of it.  And he wore a kilt:
I know!  He always gets so many wonderful comments and questions, and is so happy to talk to people about it.  Men always want to know why he wears the kilt; what kind of kilt it is, where the sporran came from [he made it himself, yowza!] and women always tell him how handsome he looks, and to tell me how lucky I am.  [I do feel lucky!]. Everyone wants to know what's on underneath it [answer: tradition and etiquette requires that to be a mystery] and to tell him about their recent trips to Scotland, which we love to hear about.  Guys, wear a kilt.  It's the very best.  
 
 
There is so much to see there.  The beautiful wool, in all its forms, is abundant.  The lambs are smiling.  The people all around are kindred souls.  A couple of our tribe spotted me and said hello:
I really loved meeting them in person.  See you again next year!  
Our hotel for the night was beautiful and spooky.  We had the third floor attic (still undergoing renovations)--with four mostly-empty rooms, including a bedroom, two sitting rooms and a workspace, a brick and iron furnace, black-specked gilt mirrors and transoms and wood-paneled everything, and oil paintings and glossy Victorian furniture and an actual suit of armor and creaky closet doors and other doors marked DO NOT OPEN!--all to ourselves.  It was delicious.  I slept with one eye open.  And that view, the next morning, from the one of the windows in the second of our four turrets.  I can hardly wait until next year.  

30 comments:

  1. I LOVE where you stayed! I only stay over every couple of years...It's less than a 2 hour drive for me....it was so crowded on Saturday, but still wonderful...and Sunday just so laid back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't think I would like the melee of Saturday. I saw pictures of the Saturday line at Miss Babs, a mile long! Not for me.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous hotel! Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. Your man is very handsome, and he sounds like a perfect match for you. All that work and it was eighty degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this post...my hubs is as good natured as yours and the haul looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the best festival buddy ever. :)

      Delete
  4. Feels so blessed to have been able to attend the Festival this year... We headed out before sunrise and arrived shortly before opening! Huge lines but magically we were told to get o a line that moved along rather quickly. Hearing how warm it was on Sunday makes me even happier we went on Saturday -it was gray foggy and damp upon our arrival but but 10:30 0r so the temps were heading towards the mid 70s!!! WOW that was some unique place you found to stay in!!! Doc sure has presence doesn't he!!! Look totally happy ~ its great to be among like minded people enjoying that which brings us JOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you had a good time, too! There is some magic there, I think. :)

      Delete
    2. I think you're right about the magic!!!!

      Delete
  5. glad you had a good time & can't wait to see what you do with all the lovely yarn!
    love the hotel room where you stayed, absolutely gorgeous! love all the wood.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing event and a great haul of goodies. The kilt looks great, what tartan is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a Murphy kilt, his nod to his Irish ancestry. :)

      Delete
  7. Looks and sounds fabulous. What a haul you got and such lovely colours. The hotel looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great haul, wish I took a picture of mine before I started in on my fair aisle hat, I think I still will though. it was a nice day, a little warm...and my hubby saw yours, he wants to wear a kilt next year too..isn't it great when the husbands support the yarn habit and look good doing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he should totally wear a kilt next year! I warn you, though, it will be the end of anybody noticing you--when you're with a guy wearing a kilt, that is the whole story.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous Rhinebeck loot! You scored nicely and with your gentleman companion as well. Thanks for the consideration of those of us that couldn't be at Rhinebeck, although I don't mind all the hula-ba-loo, it gives me something to look forward to the day I can get there. Lovely pictures and that hotel...Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope it will be possible for you someday--I couldn't believe all the beautiful things. Fingers crossed for next year! :)

      Delete
  10. It sounds absolutely wonderful, with the exception that it was too hot for people to wear their sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there were a lot of beautifully made things, languishing in the bottoms of bags. Better luck next year! :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing your wonderful weekend, AND Doc, with everyone. Such beautiful fiber and yarn as well as a handsome Scot. (You'll have to check out "Soulless" by Gail Carriger. You have your own Lord Macon) I so enjoy your blog - makes me laugh and want to knit more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll check that out right away, thanks for the recommendation! :)

      Delete
  12. I don't know if I love the first or last photo the best... OK the first, you got me! glad you had a fabulous time. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely story with beautiful setting, a handsome cast and a great treasure haul. You two look great and a kilt is always good, especially worn with a t-shirt. Although I'm in the Southern Hemisphere my city prides itself on its Scottish heritage and it's a very kilted place. That looks like a very spooky hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a fabulous time at Rhinebeck. My hubby wore the family kilt when we got married and uses any excuse to wear it. He loves it! Doc looks great in his!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a special time for you and that hotel is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i was there too...and i saw doc, several times!! and those apple cider donuts!!! the best i have ever eaten, boy were they good!! there were 10 in my group and we had a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your husband sounds as though he's from the same tribe of legends as mine...aren't we lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  18. IG says your page is 'not available'. ? ��

    ReplyDelete
  19. Paula and I enjoyed running into you too. (BTW - I was able to find some non-wool cotton/silk/linen blend a couple of barns over made by Autumn House Farm!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep hoping that kilts will catch on. I do so love a man in a kilt. Does Doc know about Utilikilts? I know some people in the entertainment tech industry who wear them.

    ReplyDelete