Monday, March 6, 2017

No. 2: Love

 
 
This is the finished piece in what I have really come to think of as some kind of actual artistic endeavor.  I keep coming back to the philosophical question of "art vs. craft" and I don't know why I even care, because it is all worthwhile and I'm happy to be doing it either way, whatever it's called, but just in an elementary sense, I do wonder.  Anyway, this, like everything I do with needles and fabric or fiber, is somewhere on the continuum, who knows where, and I am really enjoying the process.  As you may remember, I was asked at the end of last year to join a fellow crafter in a yearlong creative project, in which we would set a monthly goal and apply our most creative selves to it.  There are parameters:  each piece is to be roughly 6" x 6", and is bound in some way at the edges.  Those are the only rules.  Additionally, I have decided that my pieces will be all handwork--no machine stitches--and that I will try to use stash whenever I can.  Also, I am concentrating on exploring ideas and not worrying so much about perfection of technique.  Good thing, too, this time, because this was my first foray into English Paper Piecing, and yikes.  Imperfection everywhere. But something about all those bristling basting stitches was so satisfying to me.  It felt so much like Work, in the best way.  Like I was making work.  This month is No. 2:  appassionato.  Passion, and love.  I thought about how much I love handwork and tiny things and learning and sweet surprises and color against neutral backgrounds and visible brush strokes and the smaller parts of Big Projects.  I am so grateful to be doing this.  

11 comments:

  1. Kristen, I admire the way in which you have employed the challenge to your creative self. The process, materials and your talented sensitivity have combined to create something unique. It show me a tribute to traditional feminine stitching techniques combined with a very contemporary sophistication. Bravo. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand stitched, good for you, I always like the look of it and you can truly call it hand made. Love old school ways of doing things always. Right now my project is how to patch a hole in the knee of my blue jeans. Fabric behind the hole and hand stitching it on, or patch the front? Dilemma. Love your blog and always look forward to see what you are attacking next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wondeful piece you have made. I know the feeling you are writting about. It looks beautiful. So thanks for sharing.
    Hugs from Lina Aggerholm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blimey those are really small pieces of fabric. I know they join up to make a larger piece but crikey I'd need a magnifier. Art or craft who cares as long as it makes you happy usually turns out to be something beautiful anyway win win. More power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If quilting and other yarn activities were a largely male activity, you can bet we'd be calling it art :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I don't have the patience for such small pieces but yours are beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous :-) no need to explain. (Your grandkids or their kids will find this and feel like they ve tapped into something magical that s part of they re story too..)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard to not to judge ones' work, isn't it. I remember knitting my first scarf, although it was 1 inch wide. I have no idea where it is; i wish i did, i would love to compare it to my creations now. I would say when i looked at that rag a muffin of a scarf, "this is where it all started". What we love all starts somewhere. Love you blog. Where is cat dog? I could eat her up, she is so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! it became a thing! That is an amazing piece of Art Kristen. I am boy knitting at the moment - a new thing to me altogether. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! The combination of precise and looser (those yellow stitches around the edge - I adore). The little pocket. The cross stitch. This is such an appealing collage/work/art to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this little artwork is gorgeous. I love the stitching, the fabrics, the "collage" of it. Meg

    ReplyDelete