Thursday, April 17, 2014

Blanket Squares

DSCF4614a

While I am working on other things (the hand-pieced nine patch squares are still calling to me, and piling up very satisfactorily) I keep coming back to this. Sock yarn seems to come in two options—sedate and neutral colors, beige and charcoal and so on, the colors of ordinary men’s socks; and vivid hand-painted skeins in gorgeous colorways that sometimes verge on the lurid, and sometimes leap headfirst directly into the lurid.  I have a whole bunch of both, because sometimes a person needs an ordinary pair of regular-looking socks, and sometimes you want to let your yarn-loving flag fly.  And those hand-painted skeins are so beautiful, like watercolor paintings.  They cannot be resisted!  I know you know what I mean.

A lot of my sock yarn remnants are the leftovers of socks that have already worn out and are gone.  I made them so long ago, wore them for years, darned up the holes in them at least twice, and then threw them away, and still I have this little ball of the yarn left.  It’s too pretty not to save, which means that in the dozen or so years I have been knitting socks, it has accumulated.

DSCF4612a

As you know, I am ever in search of ways to use up my leftovers, and also in search of a Big Project—this one is firmly both.  I am making a blanket out of sock yarn, and while I may have to supplement the pile of leftovers with more neutrals or more light value colors or whatever (poor me, sock yarn shopping!) I really think there’s no way this won’t use up the leftovers.  I can already tell there’s no way it won’t be a Big Project.  Big might not be the right word, actually.  Enormous Project?  Gargantuan? 

I choose two different yarns that look nice together.  I cast on 35 stitches on a US 4 needle, and work 35 garter ridges.  I throw in stripes as dictated by my whims.  I read a book, look out the window, look people in the eye, knitting all the while, and when there are 35 garter ridges, I bind off and start another. The pile of squares is growing, but the basket of yarn has not gotten any smaller yet.  It has to, eventually, start getting smaller.  It has to!  Right? 

21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! I'm sure it will look great when it's done. Eventually the piles will get smaller. Have a sweet day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap. I'm knitting blanket squares too. Using mainly pastels in double moss stitch. I got the idea from Jane Brocket's book, 'The Gentle Art of Knitting'. She knits the squares in strips so there is less sewing up. It seems to be working well. I must post about it soon.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great idea, and I like the way you are alternating the neutrals and the lurid ones. I love the word lurid. It perfectly describes the yarn I'm using right now to knit a pair of socks. It's just awful, but I hate to waste it. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Battaniyeyi merakla bekliyorum. Bloğunuzu çok beğeniyorum. Türkiye'den selamlar, sevgiler gönderiyorum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I read your blog for a long time now and I am always surprised by the speed at which you knit!!
    you make a beautiful knit work every time.
    Miss
    www.mywoolvalley.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you have been saving those leftovers yarns for years.
    There really is no good reason to be throwing out perfectly good yarn.
    It would be sacrilege to do so;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, you are on to a very good knitting project. Paring the pretty colors in imaginative ways, with the comforting garter stitch keeping the continuity, does let your fine creative mind wander a bit.

    I suspect that you might soon be looking for new yarns in that same gauge. That's what happened to me a while back when I began a patchwork fair isle knitted blanket in that same 4 ply wool scale. I really enjoyed the experiment and still love having that blanket handy.

    Can you imagine that we had another few hours of snow flurries overnight this week. Still glad to have my down coat at the ready, but so hoping that Easter Sunday will be much warmer. I want to take my camera to The Parade.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of sock yarn blanket and those colors will brighten up and make cozy many evenigns to come :)
    I have never tried sock yarn, but already had in mind to buy and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you'd think so wouldn't you... but if you then have to buy a skein of this and that colour to pad it out.... well, then you'll have more leftovers.... and so it goes on. But great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty!
    Can't wait to see it finished.

    At this moment I'm also working on a blanket of leftovers, you van have a peek here:
    http://homeiswherethedachshundis.blogspot.be/2014/03/blijheid-opwekkend.html

    Enjoy your Easter!

    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh My Stars!!!! I Am so in love with this Big Blanket project!!!! No sock yarn here in the quantities needed to do a project like this one but perhaps if I used all of my other scraps!!!!! WOULD LOVE ONE OF THESE!!!!! Happy Easter to You and Dean!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous way to use up left over yarn.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is my kind of leftovers project. I am making posts at the moment about how I use up all the little bits of everything. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your work, it is a great idea!
    Happy time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! No matter how much I crochet, I still have yarn all over the place. Have made about 15 washcloths in the past couple of weeks. And am working on granny squares as they are quick and satisfying. :) Your squares are great. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is going to be a gorgeous blanket. I like the idea of a project that allows for so much whimsy and doesn't require much concentration -- all garter stitch. Now, I'll have to make a whole drawer full of socks, so I can have enough leftover sock yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It will be beautiful. I have only made two pair of socks. I think need to knit more so I can have so more scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to bookmark this post, so that I can point to it the next time someone says "you're keeping THAT tiny ball of wool?" Yessir, waste not, want not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic idea!! The ready squares are looking really great ♥. Must keep this in mind, thanks!

    ReplyDelete